[Orca-users] moving orca input files

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Mar 9 11:51:12 PST 2005

RJNiesz at dstoutput.com wrote:

> I am migrating all my orca clients to a new machine. As part of this
> move, I need to preserve all the historical orca data.
>
> The method I am using is to copy over all the old raw input files and
> then run orca to regenerate all the historical data/graphs.

You didn't really need to rerun Orca, just moving the RRD files over to the new
machine would have been sufficient.

> This has seemed to work. All my data was re-generated, but after this
> completed, I moved all the old input files to an archive directory. So
> the next day when orca runs it only has to look at the previous days
> orcallator data. When this run completes, the data and graphs are all
> updated, but now only contain the new data and all the historical data
> is gone.
>
> Do I /have/ to keep all the old input files and have them processed
> every day, or do I ahve something setup incorrectly here.

Are you deleting or moving your RRD files?  That would cause the problem.  You
do need the keep these around, because that are binary data stores of the data
that orcallator or procallator gathers.

The only time you need the old source data files is if you delete the RRD data
files or add a new plot definition to your Orca configuration file which would
cause it to reload all the original data files.

Moving old data files out of the way will also speed Orca up.

Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/