[Orca-users] moving orca input files

RJNiesz at dstoutput.com RJNiesz at dstoutput.com
Wed Mar 9 14:14:24 PST 2005

yes, when I say orcallator files, I am referring to the text file created
by  orcallator.

On my initial attempt on the migration, I only copied over all the
historical orcallator files assuming that all the old data and graphs
would be regenerated on the initial run of orca. That did happen, but then
I deleted the old orcallator files, and then on subsequent runs of orca,
all the historical stuff was gone.

I just deleted all  files from my new orca install except what came with
the software. I then copied all the rrd files from the old server to the
new server. Then copied just the new days orcallator files from the
clients to the server.

I am running orca now (with -v -v -v), and am hoping when it completes
that I will have current data as well as the historical stuff still
intact.

I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Russ

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com>
Sent by: orca-users-bounces+russell_niesz=dstoutput.com at orcaware.com
03/09/2005 01:48 PM

RJNiesz at dstoutput.com
cc
orca-users at orcaware.com
Subject
Re: [Orca-users] moving orca input files

RJNiesz at dstoutput.com wrote:

> OK, so I guess I took the long way around the block. That's about par
> for me  :)
>
> But I did not ever delete the rrd files on the new server after running
> orca for the fiorst time with all the old data files. This is what I did
>
> Installed new server
> Installed orca and all the supporting software
> moved all old orcallator files from all clients to new orca server
> ran orca

When you say orcallator files, just to be clear, these are different than
the
rrd files.  Did you copy these over also?

> deleted all old orcallator files
>
> At this point I had all my historical data back and all the graphs were
> current
>
> At about midnight last night all the clients transferred a new
> orcallator file to the new orca server, and shortly after that had
> completed the new orca server kicked off orca once again. Once it had
> completed, all the graphs showed was the data from yesterday. All the
> old data was gone.

Very odd.  I would run orca with the -v -v -v command line options and log
the
output to see what happened.

> I'll go through this process again to make sure I did not blow it
> somewhere. Although this time I will just move over the rrd files. I'll
> let you all know how it goes.

Great.

Thanks,

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the individual or
company to which it is addressed and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use
under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, or copying of
this e-mail or the information contained in this e-mail is strictly
prohibited by the sender.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please return the material received to the sender and delete all copies
from your system.