[Orca-users] Stuck

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Mar 29 08:25:46 PST 2005

Borja Marcos wrote:

>     Hello,
>
>     Going on with "devilator" (Orcallator for FreeBSD) I'm stuck with
> an  apparent Orca bug. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong...
>
>     Please refer to ftp://borja.sarenet.es/pub/freebsd5-devilator.pdf
>
>     and check the "System processes" graph.
>
>     Devilator is generating a horrible graph with all the system
> processes  in it, and I prefer to divide it into three different graphs:
>

>     1 - System processes, such as vmlru, pagedaemon, etc.
>
>     2 - Interrupts, identified by the device name (hme0, fxp0, etc)
>
>     3 - "Software interrupts", like swi_net, etc.
>
>     Devilator generates an output with columns identified like this:
>
>     sysproc_vmdaemon (System process)
>
>     sysproc_irq18__em0 (Interrupt for em0)
>
>     sysproc_swi1__net (Software interrupt)
>
>     and I'm using the following regular expression to graph system
> processes (I haven't tried yet with the irq's or the swi's):
>
>     data                    sysproc_([0-9A-Za-z]+_{0,1}?[0-9A-Za-z]*)

Hi Borja,

Good looking plots so far.

Well, the one thing I see is that you have _{0,1}?, there's no need for
the ? after the {0,1}.  Use the ? or {0,1}, probably the ? because it's
meaning is clearer.

>     The idea is: get "sysproc" lines which contain sysproc_ and a word,
> with at most one underscore character. And I'm getting an error  message:
>
>     /usr/local/bin/orca: warning: cannot create
> '/var/www/orca_bsd/phantomas/o_phantomas_gauge_volatile_sysproc_([0-9A-
> Za-z]+_{0,1}?[0-9A-Za-z]_X_)-yearly.png': can't parse ':average87#:'

I would run orca with -v -v -v and sent the output.

Also, given that we're discussing development, this thread is more
appropraite on orca-dev at orcaware.com
.

>     I'm a bit lost. Am I stuck with a stupid fault (mine)?
>
>     Thank you,
>
>     Borja.
>
> P.S: If everything goes well, devilator will be released this week.

Great!   Let's get you set up with a Subversion account so you can
maintain your code in the Orca repository.