[Orca-users] Pushing for a 1.0 release

Tankersley, Jon jon.tankersley at eds.com
Fri Sep 23 07:52:58 PDT 2005

After a bit of mulling over the question....
You really have had 1.0 running since about 0.27.
But... Here are some wants

1) hostname imbedded in the file - for the off chances of misplaced files.  Something like LoclTime_hostname in the header comes to mind.  We've had occasion when this has happened and procollator-YYYY-mm-dd isn't good enough.  But we don't need the hostname but one time per file, so something like LoclTime_hostname satisfies that.

2) Considering the way we 'match' files, the idea of procallator-YYYY-mm-dd being an endall solution isn't valid.  Procallator_Vx-YYYY-mm-dd would be better, with V1 having no _Vx.  This allows what Kai suggested.

3) Maybe a 'comment' line in the data file that is ignored by most of Orca - that could satisfy #1 and #2 above.  #COMMENT Version X, Hostname XXXX, Interval 300, ....

4) incorporation of hrule and vrule.  I think the hrule is about ready, but we've never had the time to make 'color' an option instead of #CCYYMM.  Vrule is a harder nut to crack, but we've been 'hand coding' it and it is a nice feature to show solitary events on the graphs.

5) Alternate Date format for rrdtool.  I'm STILL trying to get the autoconf/etc. to work so we can 'define' alternate date.  This generates 'Mon dd' instead of 'Wk ww' on two of the graphs.

6) Possibly the generation of more arbitrary 'data retention'.  I've been asked a couple of times about 18mo and 2yr.  I haven't tried to figure out all the stuff I need to for that.  Also arbitrary data ranges - 1 week being 7 days instead of 10, etc.

7) Min/Max/Avg value retention.  The code is geared to Average.  The changes for Min/Max/Avg and combinations for that isn't that hard.  I've got a working model.  This requires some changes to the cfg file, but so far, I've got it set up so that old cfg files retain just Average.  New cfg files would be able to request min/max/avg or any combination.

8) graph statistics retention.  It would be nice to have the graph metrics at the bottom (min, max, avg, current) ALSO be saved as an ASCII file - which would be overwritten.  We've started this to get around the requrement to reread the RRD OR look at the PNG and copying down data.  The statistics are VERY nice since they do represent the displayed interval.

9) full integration of newer rrdtool.  The Holt-Winters stuff would be nice for some things.

10) a real FAQ.  There are LOTS of the same question showing up time and time again.  Not that having a really good FAQ will prevent it.  People would still have to read it.

11) A real best-practices area.  Do this, don't do this, Etc.