[Orca-users] Orca error messages

Cynthia Kiser cnk at caltech.edu
Thu Aug 9 12:04:18 PDT 2007

Bill, from the message there are a couple of things going on. I am not
sure what "Argument "2.121_08" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
/usr/local/bin/orca line 29.' means but futher down the message it
says there were no files to process. That might be because of
misconfiguration of the find_files parameter or it could be because
you tried to run the data processing part of Orcaware without first
running one of the data collectors.

But sadly, most of the above is beside the point. The snapshot listed
on the web site as "latest stable" is woefully out of date. From the
output, I can see that is the version you currently have
installed. Please start your install again using the Subversion
snapshot at http://www.orcaware.com/orca/pub/snapshots/. If you have
any problems with the install or running it, don't hesitate to post
back to the list for help.

Blair, any reason not to remove the "latest stable" link to verson
0.27? It is a rare post to this list that doesn't get the advice
"please upgrade to a recent version" and although there have been some
struggles posted about some Solaris setups, the subversion snapshot
usually seems stable enough for general use.

Quoting Bill Witt <webslave65 at yahoo.com>:
> Hi all,
>
>   I?m new to the Unix world and my boss asked me to install Orca. I must have spent almost a week trying to get everything compile and finally I?m getting this message when I do a
>
> # /usr/local/bin/orca -v /usr/local/lib/orcallator.cfg
>
>   (root at xxx01): /usr/local/bin/orca -v /usr/local/lib/orcallator.cfg
>   Argument "2.121_08" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at /usr/local/bin/orca line 29.
>   Orca version 0.27 using RRDs version 1.000401 at Thu Aug  9 08:47:17 2007.
>   /usr/local/bin/orca: warning: cannot open state file `/usr/local/var/orca/rrd/orcallator/orca.state' for reading: No such file or directory
>   Creating orca_logo.gif.
>   Creating rrdtool_logo.gif.
>   Creating rothschild_image_logo.png.
>   Finding files and setting up data structures at Thu Aug  9 08:47:17 2007.
>   /usr/local/bin/orca: warning: no files found for `find_files' for `group orcallator' in `/usr/local/lib/orcallator.cfg'.
>    RSS  VSZ %MEM        TIME     USER   PID COMMAND
>   5672 6984  0.3       00:00     root   455 /usr/local/bin/perl
>   Current running time is 0:00 minutes.
>   /usr/local/bin/orca: no data files found.  Make sure `find_files' parameter is set properly.
>
>   I don?t know enough Unix yet and this is very frustrating for me but it?s also a learning experience.
>   Please someone help me!!!!
>
>   Thanks.

Cynthia Kiser