[Orca-users] Solaris Zones problem

Brian Poole pooleb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 13:23:02 PDT 2007

Cannot init kvm (kernel virtual memory) is probably due to the lack of
/dev/mem and /dev/kmem in zones by default. This is the same reason lsof
won't run in a zone. Personally I get the same kvm warning when I start Orca
here but it is able to start (it is able to find disk instances &
partitions.) This is also SE 3.4. Orca version is r529 and base OS is
Solaris 10 - 2006/11.

What stats are you looking to collect? I'm guessing the following would not
be available or useful (ie they would report the same value as the base
zone):

- per-interface network stats when using a shared NIC (kstat counters only
kept per physical interface, not for aliases; this should be less of a
restriction with ip instances when crossbow comes around)
- memory stats in general (I suspect; I see some references to generating
SOME per-zone memory stats in OpenSolaris but that sounds like it is a ways
off)
- cpu usage/load average (shared across zones)
- shared disk/tape usage (these devices are shared across zones for the most
part)
- fork related info (assuming this is pulled from kstat, where it is shared
across zones)
- mutex/lock related info (assuming this is pulled from kstat, where it is
shared across zones)
- context switch related info (assuming this is pulled from kstat, where it
is shared across zones)
- interrupt related info (assuming this is pulled from kstat, where it is
shared across zones)
- NFS & UFS stats (assuming this is pulled from kstat, where it is shared
across zones)
...?

You should be able to get:

- process related info (# processes, etc)
- uptime
...?

>From an initial look this wouldn't seem very hopeful in terms of getting
useful data out with current releases of Solaris 10 & zones.  All of the
kstat counters I looked at are identical inside a zone as at the base zone
and there don't appear to be zone-specific kstat counters.

Happy to be corrected if anyone else knows more,

Brian