[Orca-users] Fw: Graphing problem

chris.l.jones at hsbc.com chris.l.jones at hsbc.com
Fri Jul 11 10:18:51 PDT 2008

All,

Turns out this is a rendering issue that is affecting all the desktops in
our organisation.

Thanks to Dragon for all his help and for who also confirmed he could view
the PNG I sent him.

have a great weekend all,
Chris.

----- Forwarded by Chris L JONES/HBEU/HSBC on 11/07/2008 18:14 -----

             Chris L
             JONES/HBEU/HSBC
             HBEU                                                       To
                                       David Michaels
             11/07/2008 09:53          <dragon at raytheon.com>
             Phone No.                                                  cc
             79912192
             Mail Size: 14037                                      Subject
                                       Re: [Orca-users] Graphing problem
                                       (Document link: Chris L JONES)
                                                                    Entity
                                       HSBC Bank plc - HBEU

Hi Dragon,

Interesting that you are able to view the graph correctly as I am not,
obviously this is somthing to do with the standard desktop build in the
organisation..... I'll build myself a vanilla desktop and see if I can
figure out what is going on.......

As for splitting the graphs based on controller, I may give this a go as it
would be much nicer as the current plots are too cluttered.....

Thanks for your help,

Chris Jones
UNIX Engineer | HSBC BANK PLC UK
Global Banking & Markets Infrastructure Delivery and Support
9th Floor, 8 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5HQ

Phone   Internal 799 12193 External 020 799 12193
Email   chris.l.jones at hsbc.com

             David Michaels
             <dragon at raytheon.
                                       Chris L JONES/HBEU/HSBC at HSBC
             10/07/2008 17:38                                           cc
             Mail Size: 22008
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Orca-users] Graphing problem
                                                                    Entity
                                       HSBC Bank plc - HBEU

Hi Chris --

The PNG you sent me looks okay.  I mean, it doesn't seem to be one of the
3/4" tall/narrow white-noise kinda PNGs you mentioned.  I do wonder,
though, how useful the graph would be if correctly rendered, as with the
example you sent.  With 1500 disks, you're reusing colors quite a bit, so
the best you can do is identify anomalies -- while that is useful, the huge
graph will make it pretty difficult to single out the culprit.  You'd be
doing just as well to look at system-wide disk activity, I think.

Let me know how the regex adventure goes.  It might be prudent to group the
disks by controller, say, and thusly generate a dozen or so smaller graphs
rather than one ginormous one.

Cheers!
--Dragon

chris.l.jones at hsbc.com wrote:
      Hi Dragon,

      I've not sent this to the entire list as I doubt everyone will
      appreciate
      being spammed by a 1.5mb PNG :-)

      File attached as requested. I've updated the file name to make it
      more
      manageable as I don't know what OS you'll be using to view.

      I'll try your suggestion of filtering out a subset of disks later
      today/tomorrow, I expect that'll work as this problem only seems to
      occur
      beyond a certain number of luns, however I would ideally like to get
      to the
      root cause just to find out what the limitations are.

      Cheers,
      Chris.

      (See attached file:
      o_ssucl410_gauge_volatile_disk_svct_per_1000-daily.png)

                   David Michaels

                   <dragon at raytheon.

                   com>
                                             Chris L JONES/HBEU/HSBC at HSBC

                   09/07/2008 17:49
      cc
                   Mail Size: 9048

      Subject
                                             Re: [Orca-users] Graphing
      problem

      Entity
                                             HSBC Bank plc - HBEU

      Send me one of the pngs.

      chris.l.jones at hsbc.com wrote:

            Does anyone have any ideas that may help?

            Cheers,
            Chris.

                         Chris L

                         JONES/HBEU/HSBC

                         HBEU

                                                   orca-users at orcaware.com

                         06/06/2008 17:08

      cc

                         Phone No.

                         79912192

      Subject

                         Mail Size: 3275           Graphing problem

      Entity

                                                   HSBC Bank plc - HBEU

            Folks,

            Some background info:

            Orca server:

               Solaris 10
               Orca snapshot 531

            Client:
               Solaris 10
               Orca snapshot 531
               RICHPse 3.4.1

            I have a number of servers with approx 1500 luns, I'm
            successfully
            collecting data (using the standard orcallator.se). I've
            checked the
            collected data and all disk metrics exist and are correct,
            however when I
            build the graphs (again using the standard orcallator.cfg)
            there are no
            plots for run percent or service time.....  The headings are
            there but no
            plots??

            The appropriate html entries exist and the png's are created,
            for example
            o_<nodename>-weekly.html refers to both the specific html and
            png files
            both of which exist however the png's don't appear on the
            webpage......

            If I use a web browser (or similar) to specifically open the
            one of the
            missing png files I get a very tall narrow (3/4") plot that is
            basically
            white noise???

            Any ideas??  Are there any limitations with RRD when parsing
            such a large
            number of columns??

            Any pointers would be much appreciated!

            Have a great weekend,

            Chris.

            HSBC Bank plc
            Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
            Registered in England - Number 14259

            HSBC Bank plc
            Registered Office: 8 Canada Square, London E14 5HQ
            Registered in England - Number 14259

            SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

            This E-mail is confidential.

            It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee
            you
            may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you
            have
            received this message in error, please delete it and all copies
            from your system and notify the sender immediately by return
            E-mail.

            Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely
            secure,
            error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for
            any
            errors or omissions.