[Svnmerge] Assertion on svnmerge.py avail

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Oct 3 01:57:43 PDT 2005

Robert Kiessling <tmda-kw-svnmerge.74c2ae at ro.bert.de> wrote:

>>> $ svnmerge.py avail -S /Homes/branches/AAA
>>> $ svnmerge avail -S ../branches/Brunello
>
> This gives an error too:
>
> $ svnmerge.py avail -S /Homes/branches/Brunello
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/robert/bin/svnmerge.py", line 918, in ?
>     main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "/home/robert/bin/svnmerge.py", line 887, in main
>     assert is_url(opts["head_url"])
> AssertionError

Maybe I did not explain myself very well. With "svnmerge.py" (Python
version), you're using "-S /Homes/branches/Brunello". From the information
you provided me with, I saw that "/Homes/branches/AAA" does not refer to a
local path in your filesystem, but it is rather a "virtual" path within the
remove subversion repository. Instead, in the line I quoted above, you call
"svnmerge" (sh version) using a local path in your filesystem: that is a
path to a checked-out working copy of the repository.

Now, as far as I can tell, nor the Python nor the sh version of "svnmerge"
accept the use of a repository path for the -S parameter. The Python version
produces the traceback you showed us, while the sh version will probably
abort in some other way. I would appreciate if you could double-check this
behaviour for me. That is, can you execute:

$ svnmerge avail -S /Homes/branches/AAA

and tell us what happens? Also, you could do the other check, that is using
a local path for the Python version:

$ svnmerge.py avail -S ../branches/Brunello

which I believe it is going to work.
--
Giovanni Bajo