[Svnmerge] Revision notes feature idea

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Mon Oct 3 14:09:20 PDT 2005

Archie Cobbs <archie at awarix.com> wrote:

> I'm curious what people think of this idea, i.e., the idea of attaching
> notes that pertain to future possible merge revisions.

I think this makes sense in the case of blocked revisions too. It helps
documenting why a certain revision was blocked. In fact, I was thinking of
adding it as "svnmerge block" option -m, like a commit message. But your
solution is more general. In fact, I could make "svnmerge block -m"
automatically invoke "svnmerge tag" or whatever we want to call this option.

> Imaging svnmerge maintained a mapping from revision # -> text note.
> Notes would only exist for revisions that had yet to be merged in.
> You could add/remove notes whenver you wanted to. When a noted
> revision was merged via "svnmerge merge", the note would be
> automatically displayed, and then removed.

Makes sense. I would also show them in "svnmerge avail -l", together with
the logs (without adding yet another "svnmerge avail" option).

Other opinions?
--
Giovanni Bajo