[Svnmerge] Which version should I use?

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Oct 3 21:27:37 PDT 2005

Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Tyler Moeller wrote:
>
>> Hello, I've been following this mailing list for some time. I am
>> interested in trying out svnmerge, but I've noticed there is now a
>> python and a sh version. Which should I use? Which is being actively
>> updated?
>> Is there a plan to centralize on one version? I'm afraid that the cost
>> of maintaining two different ports of different languages of the same
>> codebase is going to result in bugs in both and a set of features spread
>> across both that would be useful but neither fully implement.
>

> The python version is newer and less stable but is being more
> actively developed. Eventually we'll probably revert to it being
> the only version once it's been tested a little more... as always,
> code speaks louder than words :-)

Well, we typically don't remove old versions in the Subversion
repository.  I suggest keeping both in the svn repository and having the
README suggest the Python one over the Bourne shell version.

For example, check out check-case-insensitive.pl and
check-case-insensitive.py in

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion and Orca training and consulting
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/