[Svnmerge] Getting svnmerge.py into 1.3

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Oct 14 16:52:05 PDT 2005

It looks like svn 1.3 is getting ready to be rolled and I'd like the svnmerge.py
in that release.

The outstanding issue that I recall is how to mark and separate individual svn
log messages in a svn merge, with the issue that a running of 'svn merge' may
take the result from a previous 'svn merge'.

The thinking off the top of my head is to use a unique marker, say ........
(.*8), which are less visible then subversion's default -*70, and when a new
merge is done, to hunt through the existing log messages, and to use a new
separator that is one more set of .*8's longer than the existing set.

So visibly, the longest set of n*(.*8) is contains smaller sets of commits.
This makes more sense to me than seeing a single .*8 be a single separator for
smaller svn merges, which would have n+1*(.*8).  It would also give you a sense
of looking at the log in how many deep svn mege's you have.

What do people think?

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion and Orca training and consulting
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/