[Svnmerge] Bugs when merging revisions that modify and deletefiles

Karsten Sperling karsten.sperling at rhe.co.nz
Sun Dec 17 17:00:05 PST 2006

Hi,

there was a thread on this list in February this year about the
behaviour of svnmerge / svn merge when merging a sequence of changes in
two separate svn merge invocations where the first change is an add or
an update and the second change is a delete if the same file. svn merge
just reports "Skipping <file>" in this case but doesn't mark the file as
conflicted.

I've run into this problem a number of times now and ended up with bad
merges (the "skipping" message is quite easy to overlook in large
merges). In the thread in February there was talk about adding --force
to the svn commandline, but then the thread just stops.

Has this issue been addressed in any way since then? My version of
svnmerge doesn't add --force to the svn merge command line even when I
pass --force to svnmerge, so I currently have to rely on catching the
"skipping" messages and fixing the affected files manually.

Any hints would be appreciated.

- Karsten

--
Karsten Sperling | Software Developer | RHE & Associates Limited
Mobile +64 21 0 521 512 | Office +64 9 377 8341 | AIM KarstenRHE