[Svnmerge] Circular merge A -> B -> C -> A

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Jul 14 02:00:32 PDT 2006

If you have two branches, A and B, and if you merge A -> B and B -> A,
then svnmerge.py with the --bidirectional flag can handle it.  But if
you have three branches, A, B, and C, and if you merge A -> B, B -> C,
and C -> A, then svnmerge.py can't handle it.  It would be nice if
somebody could fix that (sorry, it won't be me).

Use case:

    I have a project with three branches, "dev", "test", and "prod".
    Usually, the development team commits changes to the dev branch,
    then merges to the test branch.  The testing team tests the changes,
    then merges to the prod branch.  The production team updates the
    production system from the prod branch.  svnmerge handles all this
    just fine.

    Occasionally, changes are made on the production system, and
    committed to the prod branch.  It would be nice if svnmerge could
    help with merging those changes back to the dev branch.

I attach a script to demonstrate the problem.

--apb (Alan Barrett)