[Svnmerge] Bidirectional merges

Morten Lied Johansen mortenjo at student.matnat.uio.no
Tue Nov 7 02:27:15 PST 2006

I have tried using svnmerge for a branch, and merging one direction is
working perfectly. However, I ran into troubles when I tried merging back.

I'll explain my setup before going further. We have a trunk that we
build releases from. In order to avoid breaking the trunk, we have
decided to do larger features in development branches. I have one such
branch, where I do my changes.

I use the command 'svnmerge.py merge -b -S trunk' in the root of my
branch checkout to merge from trunk into my branch. I then resolve the
conflicts, and commit to my branch.

When I want to merge from my branch into trunk, I use 'svnmerge.py merge
-b -S mybranch' in the root of my trunk checkout. This leads to more or
less the same conflicts as I just resolved, only worse.

Without the '-b', the conflicts go berserk, because I'm trying to merge
in changes that already exist in trunk.

If I merge from trunk into my branch, and then merge from my branch back
to trunk with no changes done in the meantime, shouldn't I be without
conflicts?

Am I right in thinking that the reason for this problem is that the
changes I did to resolve conflicts when merging from trunk to my branch
are left out since they were committed in the same commit as the merge
itself?

How do I avoid doing that without committing a merge that has unresolved
conflicts?

--
Morten Lied Johansen
Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue.