[Svnmerge] svnmerge: command execution failed (exit code: 1)

Mike Laster mlaster at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 09:04:01 PDT 2006

On 9/14/06, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> Todd Stafford wrote:
>
> >> Through some research, i figured out that the popen2.popen4() call
> >> errors out if the "cmd" returns more thank 4096 bytes of output.
> [...]
> > I was mistaken, it was 4096kb.  So the actual byte count would always
> > stick at 32769b.
>
> Thanks for the investigation. I do not know where this limit comes from.
>
> One thing that we could experiment with is the use of "subprocess" as an
> optional alternative to popen2. subprocess.py is part of Python 2.4+, and is
> backward compatible with 2.2+. Moreover, it's going to be committed to
> contrib/client-side (i.e. next to svnmerge.py) in the Subversion repository,
> so that makes it even more easily available.
>
> The idea would be to use subprocess if available (which should guarantee
> also the same codepath for both Windows and Unices), and otherwise go back
> to the current launch method. If you are willing to attempt and debug this
> with your repository, I'd be glad to review the patch.
> --
> Giovanni Bajo

If you can send me a copy of the modified script, I can give it a try.
 I have Python
2.4.3 installed and it seems to have
/usr/local/lib/python2.4/subprocess.py so in
theory my environment should be capable of using it.

I'm not sure how much debugging I can do, but I can try running
against my repository
which breaks with the trunk version of svnmerge.py and let you know if
it fixed it or not.