[Svnmerge] Encoding problem in svnmerge commit message file

Romulo A. Ceccon romuloceccon at yahoo.com.br
Wed Dec 5 11:46:31 PST 2007

Hi.

(Sorry for the duplicate. I'm afraid the other message with
attachments inlined cannot be read correctly by everybody. Now I hope
mailman accepts attachments...)

os: Windows XP SP 2
svn client: version 1.4.5 (r25188)
svnmerge: trunk revison 28275

I write log messages for my Subversion repository in Portuguese, so
the character encoding matters. The SVN client seems to assume a
sensible encoding based on whether the message comes from a file
(CP1252) or from the command line (CP850). SVN output is also
consistent (CP850). svnmerge, however, does not take those issues
into account when generating the log message. The message is taken
from the SVN client output (CP850) and written directly to
svnmerge-commit-message.txt. When I use the command "svn commit -F
svnmerge-commit-message.txt" SVN thinks the encoding is CP1252 and
ends up writing a misencoded log message to the repository. To
workaround the problem I must remember to use the "--encoding IBM850"
option.

Before filing a bug report I'd like to confirm here that there's
really a problem with svnmerge.

Attached are a Windows script demonstrating the problem and the
suggested patch to fix it.

Regards,
Romulo A. Ceccon

Be a better friend, newshound, and