[Svnmerge] Problems with manual changes during merge

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Feb 12 09:04:01 PST 2007

golan davidovits wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First i would like to ask what is the best link to take the most updated svnmerge version?
>
> My question is, i'm trying to find a way to do merge from trunk to branch and back while avoiding fault conflicts.
> The scenario is: Changing a line in a file on Trunk --> Merge it to a branch --> add manual change in branch and commit.

Hello,

This is bad practice.  You always want to commit your merges separately
from any other commits.  If you needed to back out that merge, then you
would also end up backing out that manual change.

The only time where manual changes are necessary is to resolve merge
conflicts, and even here, sometimes you can commit with the merge
conflicts and then do another commit to clean up the conflict.

Because svnmerge.py uses revisions to keep track of merges and not
diffs, it doesn't know you did this extra change.