[Svnmerge] Branching with externals

Christoph Bartoschek bartoschek at or.uni-bonn.de
Mon Jul 16 14:31:53 PDT 2007

Hi,

we have the following repository layout:

/project/global/trunk
               /branches
               /tags
        /projA/trunk
              /branches
              /tags
        /projB/trunk
              /branches
              /tags

The global project includes the other projects via svn:externals. For
example /project/global/trunk has the following externals:

projA      http://server/project/projA/trunk
projB      http://server/project/projB/trunk

Now I want to create a branch of projA.  To do so I first make a branch of
projA:

svn copy -m "Creating feature branch" \
   http://server/project/projA/trunk \
   http://server/project/projA/branches/featurebranch

Then I make a branch of the global project:

svn copy -m "Creating feature branch" \
   http://server/project/global/trunk \
   http://server/project/global/branches/featurebranch

Inside of the global branch I change the svn:externals to point to the branch:

projA      http://server/project/projA/branches/featurebranch

Now I want to easily track changes via svnmerge.py. The first question is: Is
svnmerge.py feasible in such a situation? How to set it up?

I guess I have to check out the new global branch, such that also the projA
branch is checked out. Then I perform "svnmerge.py init" in my new working
copy root AND the subprojects root:

svn co http://server/project/global/branches/featurebranch  working_copy
cd working_copy
svnmerge.py init
cd projA
svmerge.py init

Is this correct? Should then everything work as expected? What could go wrong?

Greetings
Christoph