[Svnmerge] r22788: some discussion

Luke Call lacall186 at onemodel.org
Fri Jul 27 06:58:32 PDT 2007

Luke Call wrote:
>>> Done; now available here (context format):
>>> http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/677/furtherInitLogicFixesAsBegunByr22788-take3-unifiedFormat.patch
>>>

>>> ..and here (unified format):
>>> http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/678/furtherInitLogicFixesAsBegunByr22788-take3-contextFormat.patch
>>
>> OK, approved, with one minor correction: the comments in action_init()
>> still speaks of "branch" and "trunk". You should updated them to speak
>> about "source" and "target", otherwise they don't match anymore with the
>> code.
>
> While I preferred not to have the variables say "trunk" and "branch"
> because it is not limited to that, using those words in comments helps
> the explanation because that is already a common idiom in the svn
> documentation. For that reason the comments already have *both*
> nomenclatures.  It can take a little longer to visualize what's going on
> when it only says "the copy target is the merge source, and the copy
> source is the merge target".  The most possible reader help is important
> to strive for since this part of the code has been so confusing to folks
> in the past:  multiple developers and reviewers have got it wrong or had
> to work hard to follow it, because this code is doing a non-obvious task.
>
> Is there any specific suggested wording that would make it harder for a
> new reader to mistake what's going on, and easier to read quickly...?

Here's an updated patch that changes those comments to remove
trunk/branch, in case that is truly preferred:

3)
http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/685/furtherInitLogicFixesAsBegunByr22788-take4-contextFormat.patch

With this, perhaps it and the others you approved can now be checked in?

1)
http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/675/addNullreturnsToPulldomUsage.patch
2)
http://subversion.tigris.org/nonav/issues/showattachment.cgi/676/renameParametersToActionInit.patch