[Svnmerge] svnmerge-commit-message.txt shows wrong information.

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Sat Jul 28 02:42:08 PDT 2007

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> svnmerge is listing the phantom revisions that it merged as well.
> Your suggestion, then, is to not list phantom revisions within the
> merge message?  How do others feel about this?

I patched my copy of svnmerge.py long ago to prevent it from listing
phantom revisions in the log message.  The phantom revisions do not
make any changes to the source tree, do not appear in the output from
"svnmerge.py avail", and I did not explicitly ask to merge them via
"svnmerge.py merge -r ${list_of_revisions}", so why would I want to see
them in the log message?

I think I want the log message to match the command line (modulo
sorting and compressing into ranges).  If revisions 40, 42, and 44 are
available for merging, and revisions 41 and 43 are phantoms, then I want
"svnmerge.py merge -r 40-44" to generate a log message with "Merged
revisions 40-44"; but if I ask for "svnmerge.py merge -r 40,42,44" then
I prefer the log message to say "Merged revisions 40,42,44", even though
exactly the same merge is happening in both cases.

On the other hand, I don't object to using phantom revisions to fill in
the gaps in lists that could be converted to ranges.  Continuing the
previous example, if I explicitly asked to merge "-r 40,42", then it
would be OK if the log message showed "Merged revisions 40-42" (but I
wouldn't like it to say "Merged revisions 40-43").

--apb (Alan Barrett)