[Svnmerge] Ignore initialized revisions (was Re: Reflected blocks)

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at zmanda.com
Sat Jul 28 09:06:25 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:25:48PM +0100, Michael Willmott wrote:
> The only area of concern I have with this patch at the moment is having
> to force property checking for all revisions being considered, which was
> previously only done when --bidirectional was specified.  This means
> that svnmerge is making a lot more calls to svn and with Raman's recent
> patch to resolve transitive merge property conflicts the extra work
> seems a little pointless.

I agree.  The only other complaint I would have here is that, in some
cases, the user may actually *want* to merge changes that came from
another branch.  As an example:
 - Rachel merges her changes from branches/rachel to trunk
 - I, trying to keep my branch up-to-date with trunk, run 'svnmerge -S
   ../rachel'.
 - Result (with patch in #2851): I don't get Rachel's changes, and my
   branch diverges from trunk.
At the least, I'd like to make this new behavior optional, similarly to
--bidirectional.

I realize we're going round and round here, and that we're fighting many
of the same battles as the 1.5 folks are/have.  I'd prefer to solve
things like this in the same manner as Subversion itself will, but I'll
admit I don't know what that is.

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell