[Svnmerge] Error in Dustin Mitchell's "location identifier" to svnmerge

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sun Jul 29 22:23:21 PDT 2007

	Greetings all! New here to this list and somewhat new to svnmerge.py
too (introduced to it by Blair through our work on the MacPorts
repository).

	I'm trying to mirror the MacPorts repository on a local repository I
recently setup and of course I'm running into the "identical
repository paths" conflict when using svnmerge.py to stay up to date.
To work around it I'm using Dustin Mitchell's improved version of
svvnmerge.py (found at http://code.v.igoro.us/index.php?url=archives/
7-Improving-svnmerge.html) to make use of the "location identifier"
key in order to discern the two repositories. He helped me earlier on
with an error of a missing UUID locally (thanks Dustin!) but now I'm
stumbling upon a different one:

--> pwd
/usr/local/src/macosforge/macports/local/trunk/base

--> svn info
Repository Root: svn://localhost/macports
Repository UUID: c73623a5-8cff-4b10-bcb6-3d244a7d1927
Revision: 5
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: juan
Last Changed Rev: 5
Last Changed Date: 2007-07-29 03:31:14 -0400 (Sun, 29 Jul 2007)

--> svnmerge_r23865.py init -v -L url http://svn.macports.org/
repository/macports/trunk/base
svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
svnmerge: cannot init integration source location 'uuid://
c73623a5-8cff-4b10-bcb6-3d244a7d1927/trunk/base'
Its location identifer does not differ from the location identifier
of the current directory.

	I'm a bit at a loss here, why am I getting an error for "uuid://
c73623a5-8cff-4b10-bcb6-3d244a7d1927/trunk/base" as the source
location if I'm asking for the url as the location identifier? The
same thing happens if I try to "obey" and use the UUID:

$[juan @macbookpro: base](859/1,0) -> svnmerge_r23865.py init -v -L
UUID http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/base
svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
svnmerge: cannot init integration source location 'uuid://
c73623a5-8cff-4b10-bcb6-3d244a7d1927/trunk/base'
Its location identifer does not differ from the location identifier
of the current directory.

	I'm I simply not understanding how the location identifier is
supposed to work? Do note that 'c73623a5-8cff-4b10-bcb6-3d244a7d1927'
is the correct UUID for my local repo (unreachable outside my LAN)
and not that of the MacPorts official repo:

--> svn info http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports | grep UUID
Repository UUID: d073be05-634f-4543-b044-5fe20cf6d1d6

	What am I understanding backwards? Or did I find a bug...? ;-)

	If there's any type of consensus being gathered here, I'd like to
say that, these errors put aside, I'd love to see Dustin's "location
identifier" feature being integrated into official subversion sources
-- uniquely identifying a repository when merge tracking is a big
advantage... and failing upon identical paths simply because
svnmerge.py cannot discern seems like somewhat of a big limitation!

	Thanks in advance for the help! Regards,...

-jmpp