[Svnmerge] Bindirectional Merges, simple question

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Jul 1 06:47:32 PDT 2008

Baeriswyl Kuno - Extern (IT-BA-MV) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to svnmerge.py and I just want to make sure that I haven't
> missed anything.
>
> I've gto following scenario:
>
> 1. Copy trunk to branches/a
> 2. Do changes on trunk
> 3. Do changes on Branch A (Potential conflict with trunk)
> 4. Merge changes in Trunk to Branch A, resolve conflict, commit
> 5. Reintegrate Branch A with Trunk
>

> Since svnmerge.py doesn't merge back the revision made in step 4, I need
> to resolve the merge conflict a second time in step 5. This is a
> potenial pitfall. I've read the discussion in
> http://www.nabble.com/overzealous-exclusion-of-reflective-merges--td17701901.html about
> a similar scenario. Further more, I know that part should be improved
> with the new, not yet stable enough, Merge Tracking feature in
> Subversion 1.5.

I wouldn't say that the 1.5 merge tracking feature is not stable enough.

> I'm right? Is is a second conflict resolution really necessary? Do you
> have any hints or best practises how to handle this problem?
>
> Many thanks for your patient to a dummy svnmerge.py user ;-}

No, it doesn't handle that case well.

You could create a merge branch just for resolving conflicts, merge that into
your real branch and mark that revision as coming from the trunk.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/