[Svnmerge] Preserving merge history when moving servers?

Bob Sandiford bob.sandiford at sirsidynix.com
Sat Jul 10 12:51:46 PDT 2010

The short answer is, 'yes'.

I just migrated a number of repositories, for some of which we had been using svnmerge against multiple branches.

Read the documentation on the 'svnadmin' binary, which will allow you to dump your repo, and also allow you to reload it.

You can also force the old server repo's UUID into the migrated ones, so that existing checked out code on workstations will 'think' it's the same code.  (We also did a bit of dns magic so that the old svn server name resolves to the new server - when staff came in after the migration, they needed to re-authenticate with their first svn commands, but then everything 'just worked'.)

Anyway - if you use the svnadmin to dump and load the repos, then all the structure of the repo is preserved, as are the svn properties of the various 'root' folders (i.e. the trunk, branches, etc), which is where svnmerge places the merge tracking info.  That info does not contain any server info - just info relative to the repository itself.

For example, in our trunk:

svn proplist . -v

will show you all the svn properties and their values for the root folder.  The svnmerge tracking will look something like this:

svnmerge-integrated
    /<project_name>/branches/<branch_name>:1-12992,13248

all relative to the repository (we have multiple projects in a single repository - you may have just a single project, so you might just see "/branches/<branch_name>:xxxx"

Hope that helps,

Bob Sandiford | Lead Software Engineer | SirsiDynix
P: 519.883.6943 | Bob.Sandiford at sirsidynix.com
www.sirsidynix.com