[Svnmerge] Test suite functional?

Michael Haggerty mhagger at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 13 04:34:30 PDT 2011

On 07/13/2011 10:46 AM, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Michael Haggerty wrote:
>> I am trying to use svnmerge.py as a library to help with a conversion
>> of a Subversion project to git.  (git-svn understands svn:mergeinfo,
>> but it does not understand svnmerge.py metadata, so it needs some help.)
>
> Perhaps it would be useful to build a filter that could convert from
> svnmerge.py's metadata to svn:mergeinfo during a dump|filter|load cycle.

Yes, that is a good suggestion.  Such a filter would not only help
git-svn but would also help the Subversion world by "correcting" the
history in Subversion (perhaps useful for other tools that understand
svn:mergeinfo metadata).  A disadvantage of this approach is that it
would not be useful for people using git-svn guerrilla fashion (against
an officially-sanctioned Subversion repository) because they wouldn't
have the rights or resources to run a dump-filter-load on the Subversion
repository.

My original idea was to hack git-svn to understand both types of merge
metadata, which would also be quite doable except for the fact that
git-svn is 6k lines of uncommented Perl code :-P

For my conversion, I used a script and a slightly hacked-up copy of
svnmerge.py to extract the metadata from the Subversion repo, then used
the information to create a bunch of git grafts and other changes to be
applied to the "first draft" git repository via git-filter-branch.  In
other words, I have exhausted most of my need for my changes to
svnmerge.py, but I wanted to push them upstream for the benefit of others.

Michael

--
Michael Haggerty
mhagger at alum.mit.edu