[ocaml-biz] The Hype Cycle

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Wed Sep 1 03:21:01 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> Not bad for a dead chip.  I wonder what it would be doing if
> it was still being developed actively.

You're making me cry.

> But the point I think I'm making, in an incredibly long
> winded fasion, is
> that I don't think marketing can create opportunities.

Marketing *harnesses* opportunities.  DEC had the opportunity to be the
premiere performance CPU for everybody.  They squandered it, they didn't
market the Alpha well at all.  Ok, Intel emulation was a real problem,
it didn't work so well because of the differences in memory access
semantics.  Still, without having a good sense of the details, it seems
that DEC couldn't capitalize on the opportunity available to it.  It had
a lot of "old dinosaur process" still kicking around in the company,
despite having brought itself back from the brink of extinction by the
time I came on board in 1996.

> Likewise, Intel and Microsoft didn't get to where they were solely by
> their own efforts.  IBM fumbled the ball, and created the
> opportunity for
> them to take over the monopoly.  Intel and Microsoft's fumbling are
> providing opportunities for AMD and Linux, respectively.

Ok, so where are Java and C# screwing up?

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed Mckenzie