[Ocaml-biz] The strategic future of OCaml for 2..4 years

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Tue Sep 7 11:08:49 PDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Tony Edgin wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:32, Brian Hurt wrote:
> > There are at least three major "programming cultures" out there that I can
> > identify.  The first, as mentioned, is the C/Unit world.  The second is
> > the C++/Windows world, and the third Java.  Or, should I say, the Make,
> > VS, and Ant worlds.
>
> Interesting point.
>
> There is a fourth world out there, where I'm a dual citizen of.  Its the
> Matlab world.  Don't laugh yet, I think this is a place Ocaml to gains some
> footing.

Oh, there's more cultures out there.  I didn't mention the lisp/scheme
culture, the smalltalk culture, the fortran culture, the cobol culture,
etc.

But the mention of the matlab culture is interesting, as it's an area I
have a fair bit of interest in myself (although it's not one I have a lot
of experience with).  Actually, Ocaml has a lot of advantages for going
after this market- 1) functional programming isn't *that* weird, 2)
performance vr.s either matlab or octave or any of the other competitors,
3) static type checking, 4) open source/free.  Probably more.

What would it take to market successfully into this culture?  I'm assuming
a really rocking linear algebra library.  I don't miss single-precision
floats here, I miss extended precision floats.  Graphics you mentioned.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian