[Ocaml-biz] The tactical future of OCaml in 1 year's time

Tony Edgin edgin at slingshot.co.nz
Thu Sep 9 02:41:47 PDT 2004

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:26, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Tony Edgin wrote:
> > I'm confused.  INRIA owns Ocaml.  We can't force a logo upon
> > them.  They have
> > the power to choose the logo and mascot, and we can only make
> > suggestions.
>
> Your confusion is that you view the law in theory, not in practice.  In
> practice, we could try to create a faits accompli, get the OCaml
> community to like it, then get INRIA to like it.  In practice, INRIA
> might not be legally sharp or attentive enough to defend their
> trademark.  If they don't defend it, it's fair game to poach it.

What if they do defend it?  This creates tension.  Cooperation is what's
needed.   I'm not saying consensus.  Just something like we talk to Xavier or
one of the other Ocaml creators and find out their identity for Ocaml, then
develop material we think is not in conflict with this identity, and finally
get them to not disapprove it.  If they do, we iterate until they don't.  No
consensus and no conflict.

Let's table this logo/mascot decision.  INRIA won't take us seriously until we
show more than just a lot of ASCII hot air.

cheers,

--
Tony Edgin