[Ocaml-biz] IDEs

Olivier Grisel Olivier.Grisel at ensta.org
Thu Sep 9 15:38:13 PDT 2004

Brandon J. Van Every a écrit :

> Yeah, so leave it to the sysadmins.  Show me fantastic OCaml support
> under Vim if you want me to think otherwise.

I use Markus' .vim files:
http://www.oefai.at/~markus/home/home004.html

> I will get back to you at a later time why I don't think Vim's support
> of OCaml is as good as the Emacs support.  If someone more knowledgeable
> can beat me to commenting upon it, that would be great.  A true OCaml
> Vim advocate hasn't spoken up yet, so I feel this is a theoretical
> discussion at present.  The sentiment of "gee we should support
> everything" vs. "gee we should focus on best of breed."  If I can't
> provoke an OCaml Vim or XEmacs advocate into the open with my unkind
> words, that says buckets right there.

I prefer vim but I don't want to restart the emacs vs vim flame war
again and again.

To my mind, people using advanced editors like vim or emacs can take
care of customization by them-selves. Don't expect a regular vim user to
switch to emacs just for ocaml programming. The converse holds too, I guess.

We'd better concentrate on true and mature IDE integration like eclipse
and see how it can be integrated with cross platform ocaml build tools
such as omake for instance. It looks like Eclipse is becomming the
definitive cross-platform IDE for many companies.

cheers,

-- Olivier