[Ocaml-biz] Let's choose a market

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Thu Sep 9 23:52:16 PDT 2004

Tony Edgin wrote:

> Okay.  I'm an arrogant fool.  There exists a list of
> successful substantial
> projects.  http://caml.inria.fr/users_programs-eng.html.
>
> A significant portion of my chatter over the past few days is
> worthless.  I apologize to you all.
>
> In short, I don't think its necessary to find an entry market
> anymore.  Its a moot point.

Wait a minute, now why do you conclude this?

This is a list of links to projects.  It is not a bunch of whitepapers
like the Python Success Stories are.  http://www.pythonology.com/success
There are no operative postmortems attached to these OCaml links, we
don't have any good information about why these projects have succeeded
or failed.  We don't necessarily know what OCaml was strong at or weak
at, although we can make coarse assessments.  Please read through some
of the Python Success Stories before determining that the OCaml User
Achievement page is equal information.  Please get to know the genre if
you're not already familiar with it.

I see every reason to believe that your original plan assessment was the
right one.  This work is *NOT* done yet.  We need to:
> > > 1) Determine market
> > > 2) Determine useful, desired OCaml toolbox for this market
> > > 3) Find existing best fit tools

The User Achievements page certainly helps with the problem, but it does
not answer the problem.  For instance, I see 3D graphics as scarcely
represented in the list, yet it is a valid market that one could try to
enter.  Even if the list does have some good market targets, these
projects aren't dropping off the tongues of everyone out there.  They
could be far better showcased, even if if the 'showcase' project itself
already exists.

BTW, if you put your right hand on the wrong home row keys, OCaml is
transformed to ICank.  Accident?  I think not!!!

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.