[Ocaml-biz] IDEs

Shishir Ramam sramam at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 15:53:13 PDT 2004

> Yeah, so leave it to the sysadmins.  Show me fantastic OCaml support
> under Vim if you want me to think otherwise.

Both the editors have steep learning curves. IMHO, it's unrealistic to expect
people to change. Some of the assumptions being made on the size of
various communities don't have enough representation here to be
meaningful.

wrt scripting in Vim, http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-08/power_02.html
provides some pros-cons.

> indicate a superior OCaml IDE compared to GNU Emacs.  Ergo, XEmacs
> loses.  We want volume for OCaml, not maintenance headaches.
>
> > What editor you use shouldn't even come up when discussing
> > programming languages.
>
> As far as businesses are concerned, it should and does.

So you're saying that my manager or even worse, my VP engineering, can
dictate which editor/IDE I use?! Ahem.

Instead of nit-picking on which editor to provide support for, it
might be better
to use this forum to define what are desirable features of an IDE. And then
list whether each environment supports it or not.
A thing I really liked about the scripts available at vim.sf.net is
the karma-factor.
Essentially a vote by people who use the script as to it's usefulness.

Setting up a framework of this kind will allow people to make informed choices
on the popularity/efficacy of various implementations.

Also, it allows open source development (or diffusion as you call it)
to be done
on as interest exists basis.

Compromise is always difficult even with religion, and we're
attempting to resolve
*the* Vi/Emacs debate!  :)

-shishir