[Ocaml-biz] IDEs

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Fri Sep 10 09:44:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> We want volume for OCaml, not maintenance headaches.

And you will not get volume, in the Unix/Open Source world, by demanding
that Ocaml users have to use particular editor or IDE.  If I haven't made
it clear yet, I'm a vim user myself.  But I was using vi before I learned
Ocaml, and I will be using vi after I've moved on to some other language.
I already use vi to edit my C, C++, Java, Perl, HTML, DocBook, Ocaml, etc.

Standardize on whatever you want- I'm going to continue using vi.

> We are discussing IDEs, and your view regarding notepad is unrealistic.
> It is not an IDE.  It is a text editor, and a poor one at that.

The problem is that the traditional (windows) view of an IDE includes an
editor.  So the two issues are not exactly seperable.

Unfortunately, the traditional (windows) view of an IDE also includes
signifigant language dependencies.  Using VS to edit a language it doesn't
understand is a pain at the least.  This is the bit of culture-specific
blindness I'm trying to cure.  We don't have to tie Ocaml to a specific
development environment, IDE, or editor, and therefor we shouldn't.

If you want to develop a plug-in to make visual studio support Ocaml,
please do!  I'm all for it- I just can't help.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian