[Ocaml-biz] Decisionmakers

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Fri Sep 10 12:48:39 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Brian Hurt wrote:
> > >
> > > Ocaml, and Ocamlbiz
> > > or the Ocaml Alliance, is in a different position than a
> > > corporation hiring employees.  We can't coerce.
> >
> > But we can market to, and convince, the Decisionmakers who
> > *can* coerce.
>
> Whom we can't coerce either, and who generally don't care for being
> coerced themselves (in my experience).

Yes, we have to persuade / convince / sell to various parties,
obviously.  But we can rely on some part of the food chain using
coercion to make things happen.  As I said before, the line worker does
not count.  The Decisionmaker is what counts.  Doing what Decisionmakers
want is more important than doing what line workers want.

The line worker is valuable for bringing a technology to the attention
of a Decisionmaker.  Thus, line workers need to be persuaded / convinced
to some degree.  But, we shouldn't please them in ways that aren't
compelling to Decisionmakers also.  Otherwise the line worker says, "Hey
boss, look at my cool toy!" and the Decisionmaker says, "It is a toy,
get back to work."

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.