[Ocaml-biz] Java and Games

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Fri Sep 10 13:33:24 PDT 2004

I was going to post this to the Ocaml Games mailing list, but seem to have
mislaid the address for that list.  It's mostly on topic here:

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/09/08/1452203

Someone has implemented Doom II in Java.  Yes, this is an old game, but
the Java performance is reportedly comparable to the straight C
performance.

My opinion of what is going on here: the heavy lifting is being done by
the OpenGL renderer.  If 95% of the computation is being done by OpenGL,
even if the Java is half the speed of C, that still only translates to the
Java being 5% slower overall than C.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian