[Ocaml-biz] Let's choose a market

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Sep 11 02:30:26 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> Embedded/Realtime- maybe later.  I have concerns with GC &
> realtime (of
> course, swappable memory and realtime don't play well
> together).  Also,
> they tend to have too much hardware interface.

But there's that guy who posts on caml-list who's doing an embedded
glass machining table with the OCaml controller under GPL and all of
that.  So it can be done just fine.

> Rendering farms, crypto- probably not.  These are two places
> where even a 10% performance hit isn't acceptable.

I'm not believing you here.  If what you said was true, rendering farms
would get written in C rather than C++.  I think this is a C FFI /
Bigarray issue, not a "can't use a HLL" issue.  ILM uses Python to
control its rendering farms.  Of course, that's just the network glue,
not the rendering code.

> I'm really starting to think something Ocaml needs is a kick
> ass, take no prisoners, best of breed linear algebra library.

Several exist at http://caml.inria.fr/humps/caml_Mathematics.html
Do any kick sufficient ass per your definitions?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

Taking risk where others will not.