[Ocaml-biz] the game industry

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Mon Sep 13 13:58:30 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> Although I question the $30B for games figure.  Does this include
> hardware?

Here are the links again:
http://www.dfcint.com/game_article/apr04article.html
http://www.gamasutra.com
http://www.igda.com

I suggest you peruse them if you really really want the details.  The
big picture number is going to be substantially similar to what I gave
you, whether it's $20 billion or $47 billion or whatever.

> According to Brandon,

To be accurate, according to the 1st link above.

> 80% of that is console games, which Ocaml
> effectively has 0 chance in.

At present.  A new generation of consoles is coming.  I'd like more info
on the PS3.

20% is nothing to sneeze at in the interim.  One must think in terms of
long term strategy, not just short term tactics.  Nothing about OCaml is
going to take off with like wildfire.  We'll have to build for the
future no matter what we do.  I say again, OCaml won't achieve Python's
current level of popularity for another 5 years yet, because of all the
software that needs to be written.  There's nothing we can do about
that.  All we can do is ensure that OCaml *will* be popular someday,
instead of becoming a 'coulda been' language.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

When no one else sells courage, supply and demand take hold.