[Ocaml-biz] Shootout ill-advised

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Mon Sep 27 09:07:52 PDT 2004

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> I'm thinking The Great Computer Langauge Shootout
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ isn't so important to win
> after all.

Another reason is that the current tests aren't necessarily focused on
things relevant to OCaml.  One poster on the Shootout list writes:

> ~10 do lots of simple string handling
> ~8 do lots of stdio
> ~7 do lots of array access
> ~2 do lots of objects
>
> Given the wider range of languages that are now included in the
> shootout, it would be reasonable to look at what each of the tests are
> doing and change the balance of functionality.

I would comment that if people want to market OCaml using benchmarks,
they would do well to consider the most relevant points of comparison
between C++, Java, and C#, and design a benchmark for those.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

"We live in a world of very bright people building
crappy software with total shit for tools and process."
                                - Ed McKenzie