[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

sylvain.le-gall at polytechnique.org sylvain.le-gall at polytechnique.org
Wed Dec 3 11:14:47 PST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:50:35AM +0000, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> sylvain.le-gall at polytechnique.org wrote:
> >But in gettext, you have also separate file for translation ! I think it
> >is .po ( and .POT ) files. You have only one langage in the source code
>
> If the source code is in English, why should it be easy for the
> marketing department to edit the French translation (which is in a .po
> file), but difficult for them to edit the original English?  Instead of
> typing text in the source code, wouldn't it be better if the programmer
> typed it in a separate file while coding?  It just takes a few more
> seconds to do so.

Well, you should be right, but programmers are really lazy and most of
the time don't write such a catalog ( i had some experiences building
such a catalog, but with time the catalog get less and less relevant
regarding the source code ).

> > I have seen many
> >programs which display COLUMN_TEXT in the first column of a text,
> >because it cannot find his own catalog...
>
> Gettext wouldn't stop this from happening, since the programmer can
> always put vague or meaningless text in the source code.  Which the
> marketing department then has to correct.

Well, why do not use en.po ? ( yes you can create a file to translate
the own langage string of the program... ).

> >>Plural-Forms: nplurals=3; \
> >> plural=n%10==1 && n%100!=11 ? 0 : \
> >>   n%10>=2 && n%10<=4 && (n%100<10 || n%100>=20) ? 1 : 2;
> >>
> >>Complexity is inherent in the problem, because languages are complex.
> >>However, I think the syntax above is horrible, and I think the syntax I
> >>proposed would be much easier for a translator to handle.
> >
> >Well, as i understand, there is a very complex form for slavic
> >languages.
>
> If translators could use a tool whose syntax was easier for them, maybe
> more software would be localised in Slavic languages.
>
> As I understand it, a formula like the one above just allows the
> translator to know which of 3 types of plural forms is needed; but he
> still needs to write the word in each of those forms, in every
> translation.  Especially because the correct form also depends on the
> grammatical case of the noun, and gettext doesn't help with that.  The
> article on Maketext suggests that it would make translators' lives
> easier if they could automate this to some extent, by writing their own
> functions that produced words with the correct plural forms.
>
> But for that, they would need a programming language in which they could
> write those functions.  What I'm proposing is to give them such a
> language, and to have it be the *same* language that they use to write
> trivial substitutions, so they only have to learn one syntax.
>
> > I promise to have a look at it tonight.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> Ben

I don't yet read the article. I will do it promise.

Just to say : i am not against something new... ( i could even help you
in such a task only if it is written in ocaml ;-> ).

Kind regard
Sylvain LE GALL