[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Benjamin Geer ben at socialtools.net
Thu Dec 4 00:56:48 PST 2003

sylvain.le-gall at polytechnique.org wrote:
> Well, you should be right, but programmers are really lazy and most of
> the time don't write such a catalog ( i had some experiences building
> such a catalog, but with time the catalog get less and less relevant
> regarding the source code ).

Yes, it has to be maintained along with the source code.  I think the
advantages are significant, though.  For example, you can't spell-check
the string literals in your source code, but you can spell-check the
text in a separate file.

> Well, why do not use en.po ? ( yes you can create a file to translate
> the own langage string of the program... ).

Hmm, maybe that could be a good approach.  Of course, you would still
have to maintain the catalog as above.

> Just to say : i am not against something new... ( i could even help you
> in such a task only if it is written in ocaml ;-> ).

Naturally. :)

Ben