[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Benjamin Geer ben at socialtools.net
Sat Dec 6 12:03:09 PST 2003

Richard Jones wrote:
> I'm not quite sure if this is a real requirement of not. I know that
> we did many 1000s of pages using the gettext approach and didn't come
> across this sort of problem. Perhaps we were thinking of it
> differently.

Making several versions of each page for different languages could be OK
if you're really presenting things differently for different languages,
but if the application does exactly the same thing in every language
(I'm thinking of something like Amazon.com), wouldn't it be a pain to
have to change 7 pages just to change the layout on 1 page?  Wouldn't
you worry that they'd get out of sync?  After all, the purpose of
templates is to allow you to keep layout separate from content.

Ben