[Ocaml-i18n] proposal: message catalogue system

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Dec 7 03:30:33 PST 2003

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:03:09PM +0000, Benjamin Geer wrote:
> Richard Jones wrote:
> >I'm not quite sure if this is a real requirement of not. I know that
> >we did many 1000s of pages using the gettext approach and didn't come
> >across this sort of problem. Perhaps we were thinking of it
> >differently.
>
> Making several versions of each page for different languages could be OK
> if you're really presenting things differently for different languages,
> but if the application does exactly the same thing in every language
> (I'm thinking of something like Amazon.com), wouldn't it be a pain to
> have to change 7 pages just to change the layout on 1 page?  Wouldn't
> you worry that they'd get out of sync?  After all, the purpose of
> templates is to allow you to keep layout separate from content.

I don't really want to continue this argument much futher ... but
suffice to say that although there were 7 different versions of the
page in the system, the non-English ones were generated automatically
using a Windows-based commercial translation memory system.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones. http://www.annexia.org/ http://freshmeat.net/users/rwmj
C2LIB is a library of basic Perl/STL-like types for C. Vectors, hashes,