[Ocaml-i18n] OCamlI18N-0.2 & ldml progress

Matthieu Sozeau mattam at mattam.org
Tue Aug 17 11:16:34 PDT 2004

OCamlI18N-0.2 is available, at:
	http://mattam.org/soft/OCamlI18N.html

it introduces an LDML compliant Locale module (with the Canonical level 2, IOW
POSIX compatibility implemented) and checks languages and country codes
against file databases. It's a first step towards LDML, which I'll continue
to work towards now.

Benjamin, have you advanced on the datatypes ?

We have to answer some previous questions from Yamagata now too:
> Further it would be good to have a generic mechanism to handle
> locale dependent data, not limited to LDML.  Your libaray would be a
> natural place for it.  Then Camomile can govern all localle specific
> data through your library.

I wonder what you mean by locale dependent data, is it just objects with
different versions for each language ?

> In additon, Camomile needs ISO language and country code.  Current
> approach is parsing locale name, but if you introduce non-standard
> locale name, then some method for getting ISO codes is necessary.
What sort of non-standard locale names do you expect ?

> I think LDML have them, but we have to consider performance problems of

 ISO codes are just 15kb in total, and you don't have to load a lot of ldml
files to support a dozen locales in a program, apart from the collation table
creation/loading, what performance problems do you see ?
--
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.