[Ocaml-i18n] OCamlI18N-0.2 & ldml progress

Yamagata Yoriyuki yoriyuki at mbg.ocn.ne.jp
Fri Aug 20 06:48:26 PDT 2004

From: Matthieu Sozeau <mattam at mattam.org>
Subject: [Ocaml-i18n] OCamlI18N-0.2 & ldml progress
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:16:34 +0200

> > Further it would be good to have a generic mechanism to handle
> > locale dependent data, not limited to LDML.  Your libaray would be a
> > natural place for it.  Then Camomile can govern all localle specific
> > data through your library.
>
> I wonder what you mean by locale dependent data, is it just objects with
> different versions for each language ?

Essntially so.  However, a collation table can be quite large, so we
cannot assume they are all in the memory.

> > In additon, Camomile needs ISO language and country code.  Current
> > approach is parsing locale name, but if you introduce non-standard
> > locale name, then some method for getting ISO codes is necessary.
> What sort of non-standard locale names do you expect ?

Using aliases for locale names appears quite common.  (For example,
catalan for ca_ES)

>  ISO codes are just 15kb in total, and you don't have to load a lot of ldml
> files to support a dozen locales in a program, apart from the collation table
> creation/loading, what performance problems do you see ?

I forget what I was thinking about, but for example Chinese locale
definitions is rather large, so we cannot ignore their memory cost and

Just a random thought.
--
Yamagata Yoriyuki