[Ocaml-i18n] Re: [Caml-list] Camomile-0.5.0

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Jun 11 11:48:48 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:32:18PM +0900, Yamagata Yoriyuki wrote:
> As OCaml on the whole, I think the best strategy would depend on
> application.  Desktop applications would required to be consistent
> with other C applications, so using OS functions (for example Glib
> one, or Win API) would be best.  For a network application, on the
> other hand, platform-independence would be desirable.  For such a
> case, Camomile like approach (everything implemented by OCaml) would
> be better.

Possibly dumb question:

In server applications which I've written, it's often important to
change the language while running.  For example, on
http://www.postmaster.co.uk/ which is a multi-lingual UTF-8 mail
service, when a request arrives at the webserver and is handled by
mod_perl[1], we know from the cookie who the logged-in user is, and
what their language preference is.  And we set the LANG variable from
this information.  As a result, gettext results, collation, templates,
etc. all change.

Is this possible for Camomile?

Rich.

[1] mod_perl in that instance, but same will apply to mod_caml
services which I'm writing at the moment.

'There is a joke about American engineers and French engineers. The
American team brings a prototype to the French team. The French team's
response is: "Well, it works fine in practice; but how will it hold up
in theory?"'