[Ocaml-i18n] locales in Camomile and OCamlI18n

Benjamin Geer ben at socialtools.net
Fri May 21 15:47:36 PDT 2004

I've been looking at the locale support in Camomile, and at Matthieu
Sozeau's OCamlI18n library, and I have a few comments and questions.

About Camomile:

Yoriyuki, what are your plans for the use of locales in Camomile?  Where
did those IBM locale files come from, and what software knows how to
parse and use them fully?  Maintaining locale data in files rather than
in source code seems sensible to me.  I would be interested in working
on a project to handle locales this way in Caml.

About OCamlI18n:

Many locales use different characters for digits.  In Arabic, either
Arabic or Hindi digits may be used.  So there needs to be a way for a
locale-specific number formatter to choose the right kind of digits,
according to the locale but also according to the user's preference;
this of course applies to dates as well.

I'm trying to understand how the 'calendar' structures are meant to be
used; nothing in the library seems to use them.  If the goal is to make
it possible for people to plug in their own calendar implementations,
why not make Calendar a class type rather than a module?

Ben