[Ocaml-i18n] Re: locales in Camomile and OCamlI18n

Yamagata Yoriyuki yoriyuki at mbg.ocn.ne.jp
Fri May 21 16:27:24 PDT 2004

From: Benjamin Geer <ben at socialtools.net>
Subject: locales in Camomile and OCamlI18n
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 23:47:36 +0100

> Yoriyuki, what are your plans for the use of locales in Camomile?  Where
> did those IBM locale files come from, and what software knows how to
> parse and use them fully?  Maintaining locale data in files rather than
> in source code seems sensible to me.  I would be interested in working
> on a project to handle locales this way in Caml.

Data come from ICU (http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/).  However, I
would advise not to use them, since they are designed for a particular
C parser and do not have an even syntax.  Later, IBM developed XML
version of them, which become a foundation of Locale Data Markup
Language (LDML).  You can find DTD and all in
http://www.openi18n.org/specs/ldml/ and the data repository
http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/lade/locale/.

I wanted to migrate LDML, but I did not have enough time (and
energy).  If you make a library to access them, then Camomile will use
it.

Whatever you choose for locale data, you may be interested in
Camomile's Locale module, since it implements a general method for
Yamagata Yoriyuki