[Ocaml-i18n] locales in Camomile and OCamlI18n

Yamagata Yoriyuki yoriyuki at mbg.ocn.ne.jp
Sun May 23 16:53:48 PDT 2004

From: Benjamin Geer <ben at socialtools.net>
Subject: Re: [Ocaml-i18n] locales in Camomile and OCamlI18n
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 14:09:26 +0100

> I was going to use PXP, since it has good DTD and Unicode support, is
> implemented entirely in Caml and seems very stable, and also because
> I've also used it in LocalCaml, which needs a validating parser.  Would
> that be OK with everyone?

PXP is good.  I have some wishes for your library.

Camomile needs collation table in its own format.  Generating them
from locale data is computationally heavy, so loading ldml would be a
task for some conversion tool.  (Or maybe using some caching mechanism
with a persitent repository, but then there is problems with
permission.)

To facilitate such a process, it would be desirable to have a way to list
all locale.  Then a conversion tool could compile all locale to
collation tables.

Further it would be good to have a generic mechanism to handle
locale dependent data, not limited to LDML.  Your libaray would be a
natural place for it.  Then Camomile can govern all localle specific
data through your library.

In additon, Camomile needs ISO language and country code.  Current
approach is parsing locale name, but if you introduce non-standard
locale name, then some method for getting ISO codes is necessary.  I
think LDML have them, but we have to consider performance problems of

Yamagata Yoriyuki