[Ocaml-i18n] [Ocaml-lib-devel] ExtLib UTF8 not compatible with Camomile

Peter Jolly peter at jollys.org
Wed Aug 16 13:24:21 PDT 2006

Bardur Arantsson wrote:
> Could we simply rename the UTF8 module to something like SimpleUTF8 to
> avoid confusion about whether it's supposed to 'emulate' Camomile's UTF8
> module?

I don't think there's any need to rename it, with all the consequent
breakage of existing code; there's no namespace clash since (by default)
Camomile's module is called Camomile.UTF8, not just UTF8, and it _is_
supposed to emulate Camomile's module!  :)

Note that this incompatibility between ExtLib and Camomile's interfaces
has not been caused by a recent change; if I'm reading the CVS logs
correctly, Camomile.UTF8.first was added some two years ago, and the
Camomile.UTF8 interface has not changed at all since then.  Keeping the
two modules synchronised (or, more precisely, keeping ExtLib's UTF8
module signature compatible with Camomile.UnicodeString.Type) should not
be problematic now that it has been identified as a desirable thing.