[Ocaml-i18n] [Ocaml-lib-devel] ExtLib UTF8 not compatible with Camomile

Richard W.M. Jones rich at merjis.com
Wed Aug 16 09:48:38 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 05:45:47PM +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
> > ExtLib's UTF8 isn't precisely compatible with Camomile's UTF8 (or at
> > least not in the version of Debian I'm using).  This makes it
> > impossible to use Camomile with ExtLib, which is a bit of a
> > showstopper for me at the moment.
> >
> > I think we should remove UTF8 from ExtLib to avoid this and future
> > incompatibilities.
> I'm currently using ExtLib UTF8 in several projects.

Me too ..

> I'm then against removing it from ExtLib. What are the compatibility
> problem ? I think they can be addressed without causing a lot of
> worries.

The different, btw, is that my Camomile UTF8 contains UTF8.first
function, which is not in Extlib UTF8.

We can keep updating ExtLib UTF8 to match Camomile UTF8, and accept
that it'll be out of synch, or people can just install Camomile when
they want UTF8 support.  On Debian/Ubuntu, it's just a single command
to install Camomile.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.