[Orca-dev] Question: Values for webserver monitoring

B.Schopp at gmx.de B.Schopp at gmx.de
Wed May 7 11:41:35 PDT 2003

Hi Sean,

> I was just looking over how httpops is calculated in orcallator.se.  It
> looks like every line is counted as a hit no matter what the status code -
> which kinda makes sense.

Looks same to me. In a comparison from a total value of hits to the
different kinds it will make sense to count every operation as well as the
other ones. A graph of this issue could look like the cpu-graph...

Seems to me, as i started building a snowman which becomes an avalanche ;-)
Thats the thing i like about orca: You can graph everything, as long as the
values are numbers :-)

> Oddly, GET and POST are both collected as statistics within orcallator.se
> but they aren't stored in the result text file like errors, cgi hits, and
> searches are above.

> Looks like orcallator.se needs some updating.

Seems like we detected an unfinished feature ;-)

BTW: Did you notice anything about someone trying to gather temperature
values of Sun machines? Until now, i didn't find anything about this issue.
Because of the different kind Sun gives out the data on different machines
by using prtdiag, it seems pretty hard work to integrate it in
orcallator.se.
Somewhere at work someone has a source-license of SunOS5.8. That could help,
but may take a long time to code as the output of prtdiag is very variable
on the machinetypes.

Would it be of interest to realize this measurement in Perl, as long as no
other solution is existing? Actually we have a problem with a testroom
where the ac seems to fail sometimes. I wanted to code a warnscript in perl
to alert me about this. I think it wouldn't take to long to modify it for
orca.

Best,
Burkhardt